Thursday, April 25, 2019

Fashion Mechanics: A Vintage Ralph Lauren Jacket Look

Images: Chelsea Todd

Fashion Mechanics is a series about my personal thoughts, feelings, and connections to pieces in my closet. It explores the deeper meanings of, attachment to, and sentimentality of fashion.  

This may be crazy of me to say, but I think this jacket is one of my all-time favorite pieces, ever. I first saw it on Instagram on the account of a vintage seller here in Houston, Yoko Vintage, in 2018. Not too long after, some friends and I were vending at a pop-up event in East Downtown. Yoko Vintage was also there and somehow, it was among her wares that night. Even while I was dealing with customers, I kept my eye on it to make sure no one snatched it. When I was finally able to step away to see it up close, it was even more beautiful. The owner tailored and re-purposed it herself! Anyone who can sew has my respect and this jacket was so amazing that it was an easy purchase. I  also love supporting local artists and business owners and Yoko Vintage deserved every cent of my money. 

I've worn this jacket to some important events over the past year. It was my go-to for my best friend's bridal shower, my younger sisters' high school graduation, and Distant Worlds, the Final Fantasy orchestra show (we've already established that I'm a nerd). It is honesty that jacket. 


One of my favorite things about this jacket is that it is loud, but still subtle. It's a bright, almost neon green, with gleamy gold-tone buckles, but it still has the look of a classic, somewhat preppy jacket or coat. It's something I reach for anytime I need to look good, but can still get away with showing off my personal style and I'm never getting rid of it. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig