Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Fashion Mechanics: An All-White Shoe Affinity

Pictured: Nike Air Force 1's and Fila Disruptors 

Fashion Mechanics is a series about my personal thoughts, feelings, and connections to pieces in my closet. It explores the deeper meanings of, attachments to, and sentimentality of fashion. 

There are few things I love more than white shoes. As overused as this word is, they are an essential for any footwear collection or "shoedrobe."

White is a color most of us, unfortunately, associate with innocence, purity, elegance, and weddings. And while I personally believe myself to be very non-traditional, these cultural and societal meanings for different things still come to my mind. Being raised Catholic, I remember rocking white buckled shoes to church and wearing a white dress and veil for my First Communion. But if I could do it all over again as an adult and if it was socially acceptable, I'd wear white ankle boots with a tailored cape (you know the ones with the split sleeves!) and pants ensemble. No kidding.

Pictured: Missguided boots and YRU Hercules boots

However, with athleisure and streetwear holding steady in the trend department, I will make the call that white sneakers, specifically, are the new white buckled church shoes. From the popularity of the Fila Disruptors to Superga's white platform sneaker and my personal favorite, a classic pair of mid-rise Air Force 1's, white sneaker options are everywhere. 

One thing I really love about them is that, however bad I am at it, they hold me accountable as a consumer. They show every scuff and dirt smear. Though I keep an old, dirty pair of Air Forces on standby for outdoor events and music festivals, I prefer my white shoes to be neat and clean. I have yet to find a cleaning product I really like (recommend some to me in the comments!) and usually keep my shoes in good shape by staggering their wear. 

I usually prefer to keep my footwear simple when it comes to color and white shoes prove themselves to be a classic I keep returning to. If you have a favorite pair of white sneakers, boots, or even heels, give me a shout below!






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig