Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Fashion Mechanics: A Nostalgic Look Featuring the Adidas Yung-1 Frieza

Images: Chelsea Todd


Fashion mechanics is a series about my personal thoughts, feelings, and connections to pieces in my closet. It explores the deeper meanings of, attachment to, and sentimentality of fashion. 

There's always that one thing growing up that all of your friends loved, but you aren't as familiar with and can only understand subtle references and some character names. For me, that thing is Dragon Ball Z. It's a show I never got around to watching because I was too busy with Nickelodeon to catch a lot of Toonami, but have this love, respect, and appreciation for. 

Most of my close friends love anime and so do I, but I find it hard to keep up with and many anime shows don't keep my attention these days. But last year when Adidas announced its collaboration with Dragon Ball Z, I instantly perked up. The two pairs that stood out the most to me were the Goku inspired shoes and the Frieza inspired shoes that I couldn't help but purchase. In my defense, I waited until very recently to get them on StockX since the price kept fluctuating between reasonable and annoying. 



Even though I never quite watched Dragon Ball Z, what I love most about these shoes is that they remind me of my friends. They remind me of how we used to (and still) nerd out about anime and video games and everything else. They're also purple, which was my absolute favorite color growing up. Interestingly enough, they also have a pop of pink, which is my current favorite color, making them a perfect mix of old and new. They come close to curing me of my FOMO when it comes to Dragon Ball Z. But I also suppose it's never too late to watch!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig